Thursday, December 13, 2012

Chocolate Shortbread

There is something about cold weather that glues me to my kitchen utensils and puts me in the mood to bake, bake, bake. So, instead of going running (like I should), I am going to try out a new recipe.  One thing you should know about me: I LOVE shortbread.  In fact, my favorite cookies of all time are shortbread cookies from a quaint little bakery called The Bovine Bakery in Pt. Reyes, the home town of my best friend.  Recreating one's favorite in a foreign country is never easy, so I will set aside that dream for now, and go with something a bit different, and we'll see...maybe just as good.  I mean, come on; chocolate + shortbread, can you fail? Each cookie is 72 calories (just so you know).


Ingredients (for 2 dozen cookies):
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons unsweetened premium dark cocoa

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup powdered sugar 

5 tablespoons butter, softened 

1/4 cup canola oil


Combine flour, cocoa, and salt in a small bowl; stir with a whisk.

Place sugar, butter, and oil in a medium bowl; mix with hands until combined.
Add flour mixture, and mix with hands until combined.
Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 325°. Place dough on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Press dough into an 8 x 5–inch rectangle about 3/8-inch thick.  Pierce entire surface liberally with a fork. Bake at 325° for 30 minutes or just until set.
Cool completely, and cut shortbread into 24 pieces. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment