Wednesday, September 5, 2012

California Brittle

So, I know I made toffee just last week...but it was such a hit I had to do it again.  This recipe is different, however.  I call this "California Brittle" because I modeled it after one of my favorite Sees Candies' chocolates, which is the California Brittle.  It's basically chocolate covered toffee with pecans mixed into the caramel part instead of sprinkled on top of the chocolate layer.  Let's give it a go!

Ingredients

2 cups butter
2 cups sugar
2/3 cup brown sugar
4 T water
1 cup chopped pecans (I used 1/2 cup pistachios)

4 cups chocolate chips 
1 Tsp. Vanilla Bean Paste 


 

Line baking sheet with aluminum foil. Lightly grease the foil, and set aside. 


Melt butter, sugars, and water in a heavy sauce pan over a medium high heat. Using your candy thermometer monitor the sugar temperature. 




Stir constantly until it becomes a light brown color and the temperature reaches 300 degrees F.



Remove from heat, stir in nuts and vanilla bean paste



Pour mixture onto baking sheet and spread out. 

 


Wait a few minutes as the sugar cools and the toffee begins to set.  Using a pizza cutter, cut the toffee into squares.


Once the toffee cools completely, take apart the pieces and dip them into the melted chocolate.  You can melt the chocolate in a double boiler, or in the microwave (mix every 30 seconds until melted). 

  
Lay the dipped toffee on a sheet of aluminum foil or parchment paper and let cool.


Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. im going to have to try out this recipie this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should Karina! It's not difficult at all :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. California Brittle from See's actually has Almonds in it--not Pecans :) But thanks for the recipe...! I love California Brittle so I look forward to trying your version!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to say the same as B. But I'm sure excited to try out the recipe! It's my favorite candy and the local store is always sold out.

    ReplyDelete