Sunday, September 30, 2012

The Brownie That Started It All

Disclaimer: this brownie is dangerous.  It is THE best brownie you will ever have the privilege to taste.  It is not possible to just have one piece.  I have been (helping) making this brownie recipe with my mom and sisters since I was about 1 year old.  So, this brownie is-shall we say-in my blood.  It's simple, traditional, and absolutely scrum dittly umptious! The smell of the chocolate reminds me of the scene in Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory with the chocolate river...mmmm.  So if you're ever craving chocolate (often, for me) than this is the recipe for you.

Living in Spain can be tough sometimes.  It's difficult to come across a real American brownie in a restaurant.  Here, they list them on the dessert menus, but they are decoys! Not real brownies...well, not in the traditional American so-rich-it'll-give-you-a-heart-attack sort of way.  So, I stock up on Baker's chocolate squares and Crisco whenever I go home to California, or whenever Javi has a business trip to Miami, and whenever I'm feeling homesick or just need to lick a spatula covered in brownie batter, I whip out my precious ingredients and just the smell of the chocolate and sugar is an immediate comfort.  I hope this recipe can become something special for you too!

Ingredients: (Number of servings depends on how small you cut the pieces)
2 1oz squares unsweetened chocolate (I've used Baker's my whole life)
1/3 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup walnuts (optional)

Preheat your oven to 350 F or 177 C.

Grease a 8 or 9 inch square or round pan.

Melt together the chocolate and the shortening.  Microwave them together for a minute and a half. 

Transfer to a large mixing bowl using a spatula (doesn't have to be pink and glittery...but makes it more fun in my opinion).

Add sugar and eggs, then the vanilla, baking powder, and salt.

Throw in some flour.

Mix well (if you have a mixer better, if not, then a whisk will do).

Add walnuts (if desired).  I usually don't add them when I make this recipe with my family, but Javi loves walnuts so this time I threw some in.

 Pour the brownie mixture into the greased pan, and level out with a spatula so it's evenly spread across the surface of the pan. 

Pop in the oven for 25 minutes, checking doneness with a toothpick (if it comes out clean, it's done). 

Hard part: let cool for 10 minutes.

Take out your handy brownie cutting spatula (yes, there is a spatula especially designed for such a purpose), and slice the brownie into squares.

Enjoy the world's most scrumptious brownie with a glass of cold milk or vanilla ice cream (haagen dazs is recommendable).

P.S. To make a double recipe (because why wouldn't you want more?!), use a 9 X 13 inch pan, double all ingredients and cook 5 minutes longer.

4 comments:

  1. Willy Wonka! I'm watching that todayyy cuz it's the day before my bday. :D I wish you were here to watch it wif me and eat brownie batter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I were there too! I'm sad we have to break our tradition :(. I'm there in spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay brownies! Ashley made brownies on Friday. But we got rid of our regular size brownie pan because it was gross and we ran out of bakers chocolate. So instead she made brownie bites in a mini-cupcake pan and used semi-sweet Valrhona chocolate. They came out great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds yummy! I bought some valrhona the other day and I used it in my cookie recipe because I was out of chocolate chips. It's the best!

      Delete